Up-cycled Bermuda Shorts


Up-cycled Bermuda Shorts 
So the other day I noticed my daughters jeans were ripping up the back of the leg, super odd place for jeans to rip, and even more odd is the fact that I have a pair doing the same thing. I have no idea why. Guess its just in the jeans...... I know, terrible joke.  
Anyways, it's getting warmer here, today we are having record highs, so i thought I would chop the pants off and make some shorts. Not wanting the typical stringy, ratty looking cut-offs, I wanted to try to make some cute bermudas.

 
And I thought girls were supposed to be easier on clothes....guess not.
So I folded the jeans in half so that both legs would be the same, and then cut a bit below the knees. I think it would work even for whole-y jeans because you just fold them up. 
Then fold both sides up, play around to see what looks good, I liked a fatter fold. I actually practiced on the cut off part to see how my stitch looked, how my machine worked, and the best way to do it. I found it easier to sew one fold at a time. I folded it up once like the above picture, sewed it, and then folded the top and sewed that. It also helped to snip off a bit of the seam where it would be turned under so that it was not as thick......I'm really sorry if that doesn't make sense.
Stitch the top, and repeat on the other leg
I used a cute flower stitch with contrasting thread, but you could do it in blue or something to make it less girly, but I knew my daughter would love the pink flowers. I also did a little stitching on the pockets, it was a pain, and there is a reason I didn't post a close up, but I thought it was cute!
And there you have it, up-cycled bermuda shorts! I might have to do the same to my jeans 
(sans the cutesy flowers).

No comments:

Post a Comment